I rarely get writer’s block, but lately it has consumed me. My insomnia doesn’t help either. My brain fires on all cylinders as soon as I lay my head to the pillow and a million thoughts run rampant. I can’t seem to focus on one good blog, so today, just to get back into it, a random sampling of thoughts, or ten “head blogs” for you.
1. I wish Oz was a real place, and the wizard was a real person, because I think a walk down the Yellow Brick Road would be pretty awesome, and I would ask him for a switch to turn off my thoughts at night. While there, I’d hang out with Glinda and see if she’d let me wear her crown for a little bit, dance with the Lullaby League, and get some spa treatment at that place where the “horse of a different color” lived.
2. If The Voice was The Pen and it was for writers, who would be the judges? My ideal judges would be, living or dead allowed: William Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway, Steven King, and Nicholas Sparks. They are four of my favorites, and I would be happy with any one of them turning their chair (or desk) around for me. I’ve realized after typing that, I am a giant nerd to even think about this scenario.
3. I just watched my 2-year-old son dance to a New Kids On The Block song (they were on the Today show) and I realized that I was dancing to their music over 25 years ago. All things that are “old” really do become new again.
4. If this Pittsburgh weather doesn’t warm up soon, I think we’re all going to go crazy. It’s been snowing and cold for the past 6 months, and we’re just starting to give up and pretend it’s warm. On the 47 degree day (heat wave as of late) I saw people in shorts, spring dresses, and flip-flops.
5. I turn 30 in less than 3 months and I’m not upset about it. I’ve done everything (mostly) that I wanted to do before I was 30 (got married, own a home, have a baby, own a business, write for a living) so I don’t feel depressed about it at all. I actually think my 30s are going to be great, and I’m going to embrace it. Let’s see if I still feel like this on the eve of the day when that cute little 2 in front of my age, becomes a larger, more daunting 3. 😉
6. I miss Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies. A LOT.
7. Saturday Night Live is still of one of my favorite shows and if you haven’t seen the episode that Justin Timberlake recently hosted, do yourself a favor and watch it. He’s insanely talented and they brought back tons of old cast members and skits. If you’re not an SNL fan, you seriously don’t know what you’re missing. “Bring it on down to Veganville…”
8. Movies I will watch ANYTIME they are on TV, even if I’ve seen them 100 times:The Princess Bride (AS YOU WISH), Serendipity, The Labyrinth (DANCE MAGIC DANCE), The Never Ending Story (FALCOR!), The Hangover, Bridesmaids, 21 Jump Street,
The Devil Wears Prada, The Proposal, The Notebook, Wedding Crashers, and basically any movie with John Cusack in it or any Step Up movie. I’m sure I missed some, but you get the idea.
9. Sunshine coming in through the window in the morning is of the most beautiful things ever, and it makes me feel alive, motivated, and blessed.
10. I’m an Apple snob. This laptop I’m using is a Dell and with each tap of the keys, I wonder why I’m not back in the other room using my beautiful, new 21 inch iMac. I guess because the sunshine isn’t as bright back there.
Thanks for helping me through this block. Hopefully a succinct blog will follow soon.
Until then, Happy Wednesday!